Monday, August 21, 2017

Molly's Fairy Tale Falls Apart

Last night's Insecure was kinda dull compared to the previous episodes. There wasn't as much scandal as usual, but nonetheless there was plenty to talk about. In this post I really want to focus on Molly. Throughout the show she's had some pretty unrealistic expectations when it comes to dating. She's looking for the perfect man and the perfect relationship when there's really no such thing as perfection. We're humans, we all fuck up at some point in our lives. The tantrum that she had about finding out that her father cheated on her mother was something I'd expect from a teenager, not an almost 30-year-old adult.

I was 22 years old when I found out that my mother and father had separated and were getting a divorce. One day I came home from college for a visit and my mother just wasn't there. Nobody explained anything to me. Nobody told me where my mother was. It wasn't until a couple of years later that I found out that both my mom and dad had people on the side and stayed together for us. Once my youngest brother was about to graduate high school they felt that they didn't have to pretend anymore. Was I devastated at 24 years old? YES! Did I throw a tantrum about it and blame my dad and/or my mom. NO! I didn't allow my parents' break-up to skew my view of them. My daddy will always be the greatest man I know. I will always be a daddy's girl because my relationship with my father is based on how great of a parent he is to me. Not how good of a mate he was to my mother.

Molly's expectations for relationships are a LOT unrealistic. I believe that she truly believes in the fairy tale relationships that we see in Disney movies and on The Family Channel.  I'm sorry Doll Face  but that is really a fairy tale and not real life. Her parents' relationship may indeed be as close to a fairy tale as its going to get. Their relationship was strong enough to survive her father's infidelity that happened 30 years ago. Not only did it survive, but they are very much happy and in love. Molly's mom understood that sometimes people make mistakes and she was able to forgive him and learn to trust him again.

Molly's unrealistic expectations were even seen in last week's episode where she failed to understand how her best friend could be in an open marriage and why marriages today couldn't be like her parents'. She couldn't understand that Dro and his wife are doing what works for them and aren't following society's standards of what a marriage should be. I was actually happy to see that the show touched on open marriages and (so far) hasn't put them in a negative light. I can do a completely separate blog post about how open marriages aren't just for white people and they are actually more common than many think.  But for now I'll just say good job Issa on showing that its something that's a reality for some relationships in today's society.

I can't wait until next week's episode to see how Molly processes her revenge fuck. I feel like she fucked Dro out of anger towards her parents and anger at her own beliefs of how relationships should go. For Molly to have been the hoe friend she sure lacks hoe mentality when it comes to relationships. Issa's doing a better job of hoeing than Molly right now. But I'll touch on that in another post!

No comments:

Post a Comment