Thursday, November 6, 2014

Express Yourself!

Often times people are not allowed to truly express their raw emotions. They are required to qualify why they feel the way they do, or be judged because they feel a certain way. Men especially are taught not to express how they truly feel because they have to be "strong" and expressing emotions are a sign of weakness. I spent 2.5 years repressing my emotions because the person that I was dealing with didn't know how to (or simply didn't want to) handle them. They [emotions] "made him feel awkward". It is so refreshing to be in a relationship with someone who not only allows me to express myself, but also expresses himself and his emotions. I crave knowing how he truly feels about everything because that lets me know who he truly is and not the representative that he presents to the world.

With that being said, sometimes its hard for me dealing with another person's raw emotions. Sometimes they cause very strong emotions within myself. Its hard talking to my friends about it because they have a judgy mind construct when it comes to emotions and feelings. "He's not allowed to feel that way." "What's wrong with him?" "He needs to get it together." "He's insecure." If you ever need a reason to NOT talk to your friends about your relationship issues, here's a major one. They don't understand, they won't understand because they're on the outside looking in and the only details they get are what you give them (which are most likely biased).

Its better, and sometimes easier, to just give raw emotions back to him and we both deal with each other's emotions about whatever is going on. But, this is where I have a need for improvement. Often times when I give raw emotions back its at the wrong time, or taken the wrong way. If I'm feeling some type of way I either become hurt and sad or I get very bratty. I have to learn how to allow him time to deal with his emotions first before I give him mine to deal with also. Because while I can process and handle both his and my emotions at the same time, he struggles with that. I will work on this and I love that he will give me the space to improve myself.

The unconditional love that exists between us gives us the strength needed to express ourselves to each other. It also gives us the strength to overcome the rawest of emotions and whatever reactions that they cause. Our love gives us the strength to grow and to support each other through the growth. It gives us the strength and the freedom to be us in true form. And that is what makes it worth it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment